Friday, December 9, 2011

Apple tart


I came across blog that the most beautiful apple pie I'd ever seen. Unfortunately the recipe was in BULGARIAN. Through a combination of Google Translate and common sense I came up with this recipe:


Ingredients


Dough:
2/3 c butter, room temperature
2.5 oz (70 g) powdered sugar 
1 tsp vanilla
1 teaspoon grated orange peel 
1 egg
3.5 oz (100 g) finely ground almonds 
5.25 oz (150 g) flour


Cream:
4 tablespoons cake flour (not sure if it has to be cake flour, but the translator said "peak" flour which we guessed as cake)
6 tablespoons granulated sugar 
1 teaspoon grated orange peel 
3 egg yolks
1 2/3 c milk 
1/2 c apple juice (recipe calls for white wine)
1 tsp vanilla 


5-6 apples (we used honey crisps) 


Instructions:


1) Dough: Beat butter with sugar, vanilla and orange peel. Add egg and almond. Add flour gradually until soft dough forms.


2) Grease and flour a tart pan. Spread dough into prepared pan, pressing it evenly and up the sides. Refrigerate while preparing cream.


3) For the cream, into a medium sized saucepan, mix flour with sugar, vanilla and orange peel. Add egg yolks and a little milk. Stir to a smooth, pour the remaining milk and apple juice. Bring cream to a boil and then let it cool. It should be thick. Optionally, you can use some instant vanilla cream or pudding. 


4) With vegetable peeler, make ribbons of apples without removing their skin. Wrap the strips into apple roses. (Martha Stewart has a pretty good tutorial on this).


5) Pour cream over dough and arrange it the apple roses on it.


6) Bake cake in preheated 350 F oven  about 45 minutes, until the dough is baked and apples become golden. Let cake cool completely. Refrigerate.




DON'T be tempted to take this out of the fridge to come to room temperature before serving. The pudding will soften too much and it'll run. Next time I make it, I want to poach the apple strips a little. I think this will make it a little easier to wrap the apples and eat later.




Tart before it went into the oven. You can see the peeled apple in the background


Fresh from the oven.



Next night at Thanksgiving before we served.

1 comment: