So I know I'm probably going to piss someone off with this (if anyone reads this blog anymore since it's gone into semi-hibernation. Hello? Is anyone out there?) but after wondering for a few Christmas seasons, I've decided that I'm not going to teach my kids to believe in Santa Claus. And no, it's not because apparently Justin Beiber's mom never let him believe in Santa Claus. Here are the reasons I've come to this conclusion:
1) I never believed in Santa Claus. There's the whole thing that I didn't go to live with my parents until I was two, so I was nearly 3 before Christmas. I'd never heard of Santa Claus up until this point. Maybe I was an overly cynical child, but no amount of coaxing on my sister's or parents's part to get me to believe in Santa.
2) I'm not really sure what's to be gained by believing in Santa. Same with the tooth fairy, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Ultimately, we just learn the adults have lied to us. Again.
3) I just spent 7 hours sewing a platter tutu for Alana. There is NO WAY IN HELL Santa is getting any credit for that. I also spent 3 hours shopping this past Saturday. Does Santa suffer from shin splints? Because I sure do.
4) The biggest reason I decided this was a couple of days ago Di posted on facebook at story of a woman at Kmart paying off people's layaway balances. Someone posted the requisite crap of consumerism, etc at which point another woman wrote:
Kids don't understand materialism and corporate greed. When your son asks you, "Is that all the gifts? Were we naughty this year?" because you could only afford a few inexpensive items, you die a little (a LOT) inside.I think *I* died a little inside reading that. Right now, Justin has a good job and we're blessed with some semblance of job security for which I'm eternally grateful. Maybe I've being a little pessimistic, but I can imagine all too easily this being a scenario, especially in this economy.
I've been having a little bit of a hard time getting into any sort of Christmas spirit this year. Maybe it a combination of stress, or reading depressing news articles about gendercide, or lack of sunshine, or Republican debates, but I'm not really feeling is this year. The tree finally went up (sans any ornaments until my klepto children grow up) and I finally put the wreath on the door today. But the lights aren't up, dinner is going to be at my brother's, and I'm just too damn tired. Merry Christmas.
I still read your blog! I just wanted to tell you that I think you are nuts! Not teaching your children the material side of Christmas, what a crime! No I'm joking, I hope it was obvious. I actually know a lot of parents who don't teach the Santa Claus thing. I think that is totally fine! My parents were really laid back about it all. I don't remember when I realized the truth but I wasn't that shocked and it wasn't traumatic because it wasn't such a big deal. I plan on approaching it the same way. My SIL does no Santa at all because she doesn't want her kids thinking it is okay for strangers to come in the house. To each their own.
ReplyDeleteI don't have kids yet, so I could change my mind, but I'm leaning toward not having Santa. When I first mentioned that to my mom and sisters, I thought they were going to die of shock. But I don't like the idea of lying to kids about something that doesn't really have a purpose. I was 8 or 9 when I found out, and I remember thinking (about my parents), "If they lied about this, what else have they lied about?" It was rough on me. If I get a kid who is anything like me, he or she will probably react the same.
ReplyDeleteI don't really care one way or the other. I think I bought into the Santa thing, but I don't remember any trauma when I found out, so I can't imagine that I believed it hardcore. I think it might be something I would do, but less intense maybe. Like not make a big deal out of it and not make it a huge deception. I loved my childhood Christmases, and would be happy to have mine the same.
ReplyDeleteI'm still reading! And to each their own as far as holiday trickery goes. I personally think it's great fun to lie to my kids. At least then they'll have something solid to recall when they're in therapy one day. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
ReplyDeleteI read still too! I've got a neighbor who doesn't do the whole santa thing because she wants credit for the cool gifts their kids receive. I totally understand. We just do a couple gifts from santa and the rest from mom and dad. As a matter of fact, Aaron (3) asked me this year if dad was santa!
ReplyDeleteI had a hard time getting into the Christmas Spirit this year too. Thank heavens it's over and the tree can come down!
I know I'm late to the convo here, but I read!! I didn't believe in Santa as a child either. My parents claim otherwise, but I have no recollection of believing and distinctly remember being very small and knowing there was no Santa. I am going to show Terry your post because he thought I was crazy to want our kids to not believe in Santa. I haven't encouraged it either way and it has been interesting to see how each has figured it out on his/her own. I like all your reasons, but my favorite is wanting to get credit for the gifts. Call me selfish, or whatever, but who does all the work!!
ReplyDeleteI'm late, too, but definitely still reading. And I think that I'm kind of like Di. I loved believing in Santa as a kid, but I also don't want my kids to feel like they've been lied to. So if they ever ask if Santa is real, I'll probably tell them the story of St. Nicholas and admit it's just a really cool tradition ... hopefully that retains some of the magic without having to tell them I believe in flying reindeer? Who knows ... once we have kids I might feel differently and either go the route you have or lie through my teeth to get them to believe. I also think the tutu you made was AWESOME.
ReplyDelete