Thursday, April 17, 2014

My Korean week

I've been watching a lot of Korean dramas lately which, in addition to making me nostalgic and depressed, has been making me hungry. I decided to go on a Korean food binge. This is what we ate all of last week:


반찬 Banchan, or side dishes


비빔밥 (Bibimbap), rice with vegetables, sometimes meat, and topped with a soft cooked egg. 


잔치 (Janchi), banquet noodles, called so because usually eaten at weddings and 60th birthdays. Anchovy broth with wheat noodles, veggies, and egg strips.


신라면 (Shin ramyun), instant noodles with veggies and poached egg. I had a meeting that night and didn't feel like cooking.


불고기 (Bulgogi), "fire beef", marinated and grilled beef wrapped up with rice and kimchi in a lettuce leaf.


짜장면 (Jjajangmyun), wheat noodles and veggies in a sauce made with soybean paste.


삼겹살 (Samgyupsal) Grilled uncured pork belly 


고등어구이 (Godeungeo-gui) Grilled mackerel.

It was pretty fun, especially since I did have to learn to make some dishes. It also successfully cured me of my Korean cravings because I'm pretty sick of Korean food now. Or at least until lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment