Friday, July 18, 2014

Korean Dramas Part II

Continuing on:

















Sassy Girl Chun Hyang, or Delightful Girl Chun Hyang

Synopsis: Two high schooler end up having to get married. Based (very loosely) on the Korean tale of Chun Hyang.

My take: This one was the first drama written by the Hong Sisters. It was good, but sometimes I felt like the plot was draggy and a swift kick to the rears of everyone involved would have sped up things. Don't miss the Joseon skits after the episode ends.

What I learned: About the Legend of Chun Hyang. And that the southern accent it hard to understand.






















Pasta

Synopsis: A novice pasta chef at an Italian restaurant falls for the abrasive new Chef who doesn't believe in women in his kitchen.

My take: That chef needed a few punches to the face. And the heroine needed a quick smack upside the head. I felt like there was chemistry between the main couple, but honestly, I started to feel like Chef Choi was bordering on emotionally abusive. I also started to wonder if the plot had been outlined from the beginning or if the writers were just winging it.

What I learned: That Italian restaurants in Korea serve pickled vegetables.


















Greatest Love, or Best Love

Synopsis: Unluckiest, washed up singer accidentally catches the eye of the hottest actor in Korea who starts to fall for her.

My take: it was good that I watched this one shortly after Pasta or my love from Gong Hyo Jin might have been endangered. It was great watching Dokko Jin's not-so-slow descent into madness. I did however really start to hate the Heartbeat song.

What I learned: Lotte World looks pretty awesome. And that there are designated, number National Treasures in Korea that are now on my to-do list.


















Me Too, Flower, or I'm a Flower Too

Synopsis: Abrasive, lonely policewoman has her life invaded by the valet of a local department store who is secretly the department store's owner.

My take: This is the first drama that I watched that actually ended up canceled. It started out so well, but the quick descent into chaos made the characters unrealistic and the end conflict was hilarious. Even Yoon Shi Yoon couldn't save this one.

What I learned: 꽃 (Ggot) is the Korean word for flower. The word that I know 화 (hwa) that's in my name, Song-Hwa, is Chinese. Also, 달 (dal) is moon, 딸 (ddal) is daughter, and 달 (dal) also means sweet. Which isn't confusing AT ALL.






















My Love From Another Star, or He Came From the Stars, or You Came From the Stars (there's no pronoun in the title so it can be interpreted a lot of ways)

Synopsis: A 400-year-old alien accidentally stranded on Earth becomes involved in a top Korean actress and it may not be the first time.

My take: Currently my favourite. This one was hilarious, loads of chemistry, and quick plot. The murder mystery was a little ridiculous (is it a mystery if you know who did it from episode 4?) and they never really explained the mechanics of his superpowers. Plot holes aside, this one was awesome.

What I learned: The Joseon Annals are a real record and the excerpt from the beginning of the show was real. Which obviously means that aliens have visited. Or that the frisbee was invented way earlier than we thought. Also Kim Soo Hyun and Jun Ji Hyun are awesome.






















Moon Embracing the Sun

Synopsis: Fates and human alike to conspire to try to keep the king and his destined love apart.

My take: This was my first sageuk (historical) drama. It was painful. Fortunately the plot was laughably simple which made it easier to focus on other stuff. But I wasn't prepared for the weird grammar and was left with a massive headache after watching this one.

What I learned: Fortunately, a lot. I learned that the equivalent of saying "highness" in Korean was 마마 (mama). It was strange to hear the kids say 아빠마마  (abbamama), which is the equivalent of saying "His royal highness, Dad." I also learned that only royalty was allowed to wear gold coloured clothing, the queen's hem of the skirt had phoenix pattern, and that the ministers and king wore some funky hats. Also, Kim Soo Hyun isn't enough to carry a drama by himself.






















Secret Garden

Synopsis: The lazy president of a shopping mall becomes obsessed with a stunt woman. Magic and some weird wine happens and they switch bodies.

My take: I really, really, really wanted to like this one. I actually LOVED it up until about episode 14 when it then entered into some sexual/physical forcing that bordered on abuse. After which, I kind of checked out. Weirdly, I was okay with her giving a quick kick to shin or shoulder throwing him when he annoyed her, but forced touching I'm not okay with. I'm not sure what that says about me.

What I learned: Even when Yoon In Na isn't being evil, she's still annoying.






















Heartstrings, or You've Fallen For Me

Synopsis: A gayageum (zither) player falls for the lead singer of a band. Both attend a performing arts college.

My take: Ugh. So fortunately this one didn't have jerky hero syndrome, but it didn't have much of a plot either. Could have been solved within an hour with a smack upside the head to everyone, starting with the grandfather and ending with the drummer of the band.

What I learned: How a gayageum works. And to always have someone read your screenplay all the way through before trying to film.





















My Girl

Synopsis: Pathological liar is hired by the president of a hotel to be his long lost cousin in attempt to give his grandfather a reason to live.

My take: The drama I kept waiting to start. With two episodes left, I realized it probably wasn't going to happen. So slow moving and I disliked both the girls so much, I secretly hoped the two guys would end up together.

What I learned: Tangerines grow on Jeju-do. And Hong sister dramas are little overrated.


















Arang and the Magistrate

Synopsis: Arang, a ghost with amnesia, pairs with the new magistrate to solve her murder and his mother's disappearance.

My take: This drama rocked. The plot was quick, mysteries start getting answered fairly quickly only to be replaced by more mysteries, the ending was good, and the fight scenes were awesome because the main actor is a black belt in taekwond.

What I learned: I re-learned that ghosts are supposed to be afraid of peaches. I actually learned this from an Amy Tan book way back in the day, but I wasn't sure it was a real myth or not. I did learn that ghosts are afraid of red beans. Also, to stick to sageuk fusion. It's all the visual goodness of a sageuk without the headache of the grammar.

So that's it. I might have missed one or two in there, but I don't think so. And now you know what I've been doing for the past six months. I'm looking for my next one to watch. What should it be? Vampire Prosecutor? Rooftop Prince? Biscuit Teacher Star Candy?

No comments:

Post a Comment