Tuesday, September 30, 2014

I'm still kickin'

Today marks the 2 year anniversary of my diagnosis with Idiopathic Granuloma Mastitis. The reason I will always remember this day is because October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and there's a certain amount of irony there. I became VERY aware of not having breast cancer.

A few people have asked how I am, and the answer is, I feel pretty damn good. Much better than December. The surgeon prescribed some pretty heavy anti-nausea meds, which are also anti-psychotics, so killing two birds with one stone? I also felt like the acetaminophen was doing a lot more than the hydromorphone, so I stopped taking that a week after my surgery. The drains came out yesterday so I'm done with that forever and I can now sleep on my side again. Today I realized I can lift my arms above my head, with very little noticeable loss of range of motion. Compared a week and one day in December, I'm practically back to normal.

I still get tired, and sleeping is still difficult. I can only eat about a cup of food at a time and I'm not much of a snacker. That means I still feel a little nauseated every so often. Justin has been a rock star though and all I have to do is ask, and he immediately presents me with sandwiches, soup, ramyun, etc.

The surgery went "almost perfectly" according to the surgical PA. She made the mistake of telling me this while I was trying to come out of anesthesia, and apparently I get sarcastic when I'm drugged because I kept haranguing her about the "almost." She was very good-natured about it.

Now I just have to heal for the three to six months. I will then have revision surgery, which will be minimal. I still plan on having a 3D tattoo, but I can't find anyone around here that I like. The closest I've found is in San Francisco. Weekend getaway?

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you're healing quickly! If I were you I would stop looking for a local 3D tatoo person and start planning that weekend in S.F. I know a good babysitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you're feeling better this time too. I would have loved to hear what you said coming out of anesthesia, sounds hilarious :D Bummer that all my prizes arrive way too late to be of much help, I'll get this friend thing down one of these days, promise ;) I second Mindy on the weekend trip, I sure love SF!

    ReplyDelete