I was thinking about the past year, as most people do around this time, and I realized that I had a pretty damn good year. I went to London and Germany, I didn't get massively depressed, I recovered from two surgeries (and escaped relatively unscathed financially ), and I got to watch lots and lots of bad Korean television. I even improved my Korean so much I felt comfortable talking to one of the moms of Liam's classmate who just emigrated last year from Korea. She speaks terrible English and I speak terrible Korean, so our conversations are half English, half Korean and a lot of frantic searching through dictionaries.
The present is not being quite as fun. My Ob/Gyn finally got sick of my multitude of health problems and turned me over to a GP in her group. This GP looked through my bloodwork: I was anemic (from a test taken the day after my surgery- no shit, Sherlock); my HgA1C looked okay, but was edging into diabetic territory; my cholesterol was fine, but my lipids were low when my triglycerides were high- also another indication of diabetes.
GP: "You have to lose weight."
Me: "Well, that was blunt. Not that I don't disagree with you."
GP: "You also have to give up carbs."
Me: "You know I'm Korean, right?"
So these past two weeks (why did it have to be the week before Christmas?) I've been feeling deprived and cranky. The first day I was throwing up from blood sugar dips and spikes, and the second day I was so hungry and tired, I did nothing but lay around all day. By the third day, I felt a little better. I contemplated where I'd rather eat carbs and be fat and happy but probably die early, or not eat carbs, be skinny and hangry, and probably have starve to death anyway. I want my funeral food to be nothing but potato products. Any low carb recipes sent my way would be greatly appreciated. I currently have a Pinterest board named "Doctor stole my rice."
The future is looking up though. I'm thinking of ditching the kids on my brother and Mindy (sorry guys!) and going to Seoul. Next year I turn 30 (which I will do with the least amount of grace possible- you have been warned) and it would be nice to be back where it all started. Or at least in the same corner of the world. My to-do list for Seoul is about a mile long and Justin is starting to question if I've scheduled any time for sleep. Sleep is for the weak!
Goals for 2015:
Learn to adult. I don't know what this means, but I think I fail at adulting. I need to start dressing age appropriately (whatever that means), getting regular haircuts so I don't look like an escapee from a cult, and learned to take care of my skin/wear make-up. I've been incredibly lucky up until now, but I think that's running out as I see sun damage starting to show and lines appearing out of nowhere.
Eat more fish.
Seriously, that's it. 2015, bring it on!
No comments:
Post a Comment