Saturday, May 24, 2008

PJs and pacifiers

Liam sleeps exactly like me. He rolls over on his right side and grabs his bumper when he sleeps. He also curls up his legs, or sleeps on his stomach with his legs tucked up with his bum up in the air. He also snores, but that's another story. I bought him some pjs with a monkey on the shirt. Justin and I jokingly recite "ten little monkeys jumping on the bed".

This past week, Liam's gotten a lot better at cruising. He's able to switch with the levels of furniture, and go around corners. I've also seen him balance with only one hand while reaching for something on the ground. Usually however, he tips over at that point. Another great hurtle he's overcome is crawling over stuff. I used to put the pack 'n play to block him in areas, or keep him out of others. On Thursday, I heard a thump and had found Liam had launched himself over the barricade and swung his legs the rest of the way. Later that day he crawled up some stairs. The only problem is that he can't get down without hurting himself. I've also been helping his walk with his firetruck which brings grand delight. A couple of days ago he wedged the truck up against the futon, climbed on top of it, and then climbed onto the futon to sit on my lap. He looked very pleased with himself.

On the annoying side of things, he's developed a severe case of separation anxiety. It's gotten really bad that I can't even walk away sometimes. He's pretty good if he knows that I'm sitting next to him, or he'll climb into my lap and play there. So meanwhile, I get nothing done and he is fussy and whiny most of the day. It also doesn't help that he's teething again. But now he's screaming for a lot longer when he's going to bed. This too shall pass?

He's not saying many words, but he does make a lot of sounds. He does say something that sounds like "uh-oh", but I don't think he's associated it with anything. I'm not sure when I need to start worrying about his pacifier screwing up with his speech.

I'm not looking forward to driving across two states with him. Any suggestions for driving two days with a nine month old?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I am really not looking foward to the drive either. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's any consolation, I think babies do better on drives than you think they will. They'll doze a fair amount and you'll probably have to stop and get out much more than you're used to. But it helps! New food (if they're eating it) helps - like those little Gerber star puff things. And music. And stories. I guess you end up bringing a ton of stuff, but I promise that I was alway pleasantly surprised by our car trips. But maybe that's because I always expect the absolute worst. Where are you guys stopping over for the night?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that we're going to stop in Burns. I know that Mom and Dad usually stop in Nampa, but we're going to be able to leave fairly early on Friday, so we'll be able to go over halfway. This will also be nice so we can stop at the Costco in Eugene. Let us know if you want us to pick up anything.

    ReplyDelete