Friday, March 13, 2009

Sorry Mom and Justin...

I still don't like Terry Pratchett. The first Terry Pratchett book I've ever read was technically Good Omens which was co-written with Neil Gaiman. This remains one of my favourite books ever. I was told however by Justin and my mom that most of the funny parts were from Terry Pratchett, so I figured I'd read one of his solo books. I made the mistake of choosing Only You Can Save Mankind. To this day I still 1) have no idea what this book is about, and 2) really don't think that it was that funny. So, not one to give up easily, I read The Color of Magic over the weekend. Ummmmmm, still not a fan. There were definitely parts that were funny, but they were uneven and sometimes I think unintentional. Also I thought the characters were just ripped off from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Rincewind=Ford Prefect. Twoflower=Arthur Dent. I disliked the way the you'd be dropped off in the middle of a plot, get through it, get some random subplot, and then deposited somewhere else in the story that did not pertain to what you just read. Justin assures me that I need to read Reaper Man before I write Terry Pratchett off completely. Okay, one more book. Fourth time's the charm, right?

I'm also debating on reading this month's book club choise, The Book Thief. I probably won't make it to the meeting because of a high chance I'll be, ya know, in the hospital, but I'm always looking for a good book.

2 comments:

  1. I read "The Truth" and thought it was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miranda! You're still here! I don't know if I should congratulate you or send my condolences. Probably the latter. I'm a REALLY digging the book thief and I think you'd like it too, so you should still read it. I'd be more than happy to lend you my copy when I finish if you need it. Let me know.
    She'll be here anytime now!.... GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete