Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day Cake

This weekend I did my first foray into fondant frosting. I made a cake for my mother-in-law.I used the marshmallow fondant recipe from Wilton. It was pretty easy. My neighbour suggested that since we live in a dry climate to only add half the powdered sugar and add the rest slowly. It worked out much better for me (thanks Jenny!). It was okay to eat; edible unlike real fondant, but I think I still indefinitely prefer cream cheese frosting. I had a little bit of trouble trimming the fondant off, which you can see at the bottom of the cake. I used the rest of the fondant to attempt cherry blossoms. I followed the tutorial off of this blog, but my flowers didn't end up looking very realistic. I ended up with my own type of stylized cherry blossoms, but I was still pleased.











Strawberry cream filling with sliced strawberries. 
Should have added more filling but was afraid the cake would slide around.

6 comments:

  1. *throws hands up in the air* You are so amazing/frustrating! Aargh!

    It looks really great. Good job.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there anything you can't do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well there's gotta be something to balance out how ridiculously talented you are at everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah - that is amazing! And the really impressive thing is that it actually looks delicious, too (a rare thing in pretty cakes.) You are now officially my idol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee, Miranda idol cake :) It does look fantastic and much more edible than any of my creations, you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete