Actually, not really. The problem being that I just discovered this website: yesstyle.com. I could seriously spend a million dollars there. It's a site of Asian designers and has some really great stuff. I ordered a few shirts from the designer Tokyo Fashion whose style is more of flow-y feminine blouses. The biggest problem that it's Asians designing for other Asians and a lot of the tops are one size fits all.........who wear a size zero. I've looked into some of the pants, and I'm going into the plus sizes (!) and have to check what I buy carefully.
To be fair, I do have to lose a few pounds. I left Utah with two goals: to lose my Utah accent and to lose 40 lbs. I've lost the accent already. I pick up and lose accents pretty easily (I left Singapore pronouncing some words very oddly) and I'm 5 lbs into my goal (yay YMCA!). When I finally slim down, I'll probably reward myself with some of the smaller shirts from yesstyle.
I feel for you. I'm still about 20 lbs away from my goal weight, and after every run, I usually waste time online looking at all the things I'll reward myself with when I finally get there!
ReplyDeleteThe clothes on that site are amazing. Would you think I'm a horrible person if I told you it is just NOW occurring to me that minorities might feel excluded/alienated when they view fashion ads that only have white people in them? Because while I loved the clothes, I had a really hard time picturing what they would look on anyone that looked like me because no one looked like me. All the models on that site had gorgeous dark hair, dark eyes, and generally had a different body shape than I do. I know Gap, Old Navy, etc. usually have a pretty diverse model pool, but the majority of companies seem to feature tall, ridiculously skinny white women with great hair in their ads. Does that mean most people feel like I did (a little unsure I fit in and wondering if any products would work for me) almost all the time? I have a hard enough time feeling "acceptable" with my average height, tiny breasts, and sloppy hair in comparison to the nation's model industry. I can't imagine feeling alienated by my race as well. Sorry ... those were much deeper thoughts than this fashion blog were meant to inspire but it got me thinking. I'm going to watch for diversity more in advertisements and see where that experiment takes me. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out which of those clothes I could pull off -- I can barely match colors let alone textures or patterns.
ReplyDeleteBrooke- I actually don't have that much of a problem most of the time. The only time I'm really mad is when Ambercrombie and Fitch do crap like this: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/18/national/main5320868.shtml
ReplyDeleteThey also told a guy with a prosthetic arm that he couldn't work on the floor.
Infuriating! I think Disney was involved in a similar suit awhile back. They said an employee was welcome to take another job where wearing her headscarf was "appropriate" -- like a janitorial position or working in the backroom. But her head scarf was interfering with the "ambience" Disney wanted to create in it's princess store. Oh gag.
ReplyDelete