Monday, January 14, 2013
I did it!
I actually went to my ballet class tonight. AND I didn't collapse at the end of it. Sure it was an easier class than my usual one with the crazy/super good teacher who is a complete tyrant, but at least I got some exercise. Maybe I'll even make it to the gym tomorrow.
I've been trying to keep it together for the past couple of months. Mostly failing miserably. So I've been playing some video games and reading some more and catching up on bad tv. Teaching Liam to read.
I've been really turned off of food lately. I think I lost some weight last week not by exercising but the sheer nausea of migraines and everything sounding completely disgusting. However one day I was making pbjs for the kids when the smell of the peanut butter was very tempting. So I made and ate a pbj for the first time in probably years and damn it, it was the best thing I'd ever eaten. Yay for the simple things in life.
I got to the LAST DAY of being on my prednisone when the pain of Murgatroyd (love the name, Stephanie!) growing finally got to be to much and I had to call the APRN I'd been seeing. Lo and behold, she re-upped the steroids and now I have an appointment on Wednesday with the rheumatologist. I'm not sure what she's going to prescribe, but it made be anything dietary restrictions, methotraxate, or a recommendation for a bi-lateral mastectomy. I've been doing some research into the last option because I can't live with the pain but I can't be on immunosuppressants forever because they make me CrAzY. But do yourself a favour and NEVER EVER GOOGLE images for mastectomies. Yikes. But the rate of re-occurrence is nearly zero. Still can happen. But the rate for prednisone is 75%, doing nothing is 50% and partial mastectomies is 25%. Yikes.
The problem with dietary restrictions is the likely one is gluten. Which is fine, I can live without bread and baked good for the most part. The problem is the other stuff that gluten gets sneaked into. Like does anyone know a good soy sauce that doesn't contain gluten? Chicken broth is another. And goodbye to ever eating out because I can't be sure what ingredients the restaurants use.
I've had a terrible taste in my mouth for the past month. I finally looked up it and it's most likely being caused by the metformin. Apparently metformin can cause the body to go into a state known as ketosis, which is when the blood runs out of sugar (glucose) and so the body starts burning fat for fuel. Mostly a good thing. There are times that this is bad (anorexics and heavy athletes for example) but I'm hoping that it's a sign the metformin is working and I'll start being able to drop some pounds.
Sorry for the randomness of the this post, but I thought that I'd do an update.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yay for exercising! Yay for not passing out! Yay for using the name. Seriously, now if Harold ever suggests it for a baby name again I can say.. Oh my friend named this nasty lump that.
ReplyDeleteHa! I love it!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe this is the first PBJ in years! I don't think a month goes by that I don't have a PBJ.
ReplyDeleteYou can find gluten-free soy sauce at a health food store - try the Tamari's and only buy the ones that SAY gluten free, because the Tamari can still have traces and it depends on how sensitive you are. You can also find gluten-free chicken broth at a health food store, but be prepared -it's expensive. At least you have that gluten free bakery where you bought those vegan cupcakes for my b-day, that could be a good option! Hope you can find what helps without getting crazy or surgery :P I will likely be going gluten-free when we get back too - we will swap recipes :)
ReplyDeleteSorry about all the boob suckiness...but I have to say I think it is super awesome that you are doing ballet. I could never, not in a million years.
ReplyDelete