Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The fifth Doctor was Peter Davison

A week ago I noticed that the site of the granuloma had started to pucker and darken. According to Dr. Internet, this is a sign of cyst coming to the surface and possible rupture. I called the ARNP on Monday in a panic who got me into an appointment the next day. She was very nice, but informed me that this point, 1) it will likely rupture and there was pretty much nothing that she could do, 2) she didn't want to do artificially drain it because sometimes this can make it worse, 3) it will scar and there's nothing to do about that either and 4) it will be painful. When I asked her when I could expect it rupture, she gave me a timeline of about 3-4 days but could possibly take longer since it has been suppressed by the drugs. She also confirmed that there was a second granuloma. 

As I was walking out of the hospital, I got a call from the RN at the rheumatologist to inform me that I was not allowed to start on the methotrexate as my liver panel had come back elevated. This is quite the surprise since none of the drugs that I'm currently on should cause any stress on my liver. I asked the RN what that meant, at which point she said that she'd talk to the doctor to see if I was supposed to be referred to a "liver specialist." That makes the fifth doctor for those keeping count. She didn't call me back, of course. Damn nurse.

Fast forward almost a week. I accidentally thought Sunday morning was Monday and got very annoyed at the pediatrician's office not being open and accidentally made the on-call polyclinic doctor call me in a panic. I finally got a hold of the rheumatologist's office, got a referral for a gastro-enterologist (apparently that's what they meant by a "liver specialist"), and cancelled the appointment for this Wednesday since I wasn't going to be able to go onto the methotrexate. So I'm now in pain, still on drugs that I hate, and feeling very, very, very sorry for myself.

It's been a week since I was told the first granuloma would rupture and it still hasn't done anything, but I feel little pricks of pain all the time on top of the general constant ache. The prednisone has finally caught up with all the side effects, that initially came and went, and now seem to all have come at the same time. It leaves me tired, grumpy, hungry, sleep deprived, and paranoid, causing me to send weirdly passive-aggressive emails to people who don't deserve them. If you've gotten one, I sincerely apologize. I currently have what is known in professional circles as "the crazies."

I will say this about the health system up here in Seattle: it is very efficient. Barring receptionists that never seem to answer the phone and one nurse that forgot to call me back, most of the hold up of getting seen by a doctor has actually been my ability to arrange for childcare. Most specialists would have been able to schedule me for same day consults, and I've never had to schedule an appointment more than a week out. I joked to my sister-in-law that wasn't Obamacare supposed to be leaving us standing in line for healthcare? Also, since I initially went to a doctor that works within the Swedish Medical system, I never have to transfer my records from doctor to doctor as they stay in my electronic file, which is accessible by a central computer record. They can also see notes from other doctors, which prescriptions I've been given and referrals are given accordingly. Any lab work I'm supposed to do is simply ordered into the computer and I can go to any draw station without any work on my part (other than getting stabbed). After working at supposedly the "best" healthcare system in Utah, I can say I'm seriously impressed. This medical system is great and tons more efficient. 

On the plus side, I managed to get to ballet yesterday and the gym today. On the not so plus side, the prednisone has made me so hungry all the time that I've gained three pounds.

3 comments:

  1. Poops, that is all. Seriously though, I really really really really really really really REALLY hope these nasties finally stop happening and you are able to recover. I do also hope that you're at least eating a lot of yummy things - if you have to gain weight, may as well be somewhat enjoyable :) Sending you lots of love and healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I currently have what is known in professional circles as "the crazies.""

    Best line ever.

    Too bad it was about such a crappy thing to have happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about you and hope the pain hasn't been too bad. Isn't there a saying about "a watched granuloma never ruptures" or something like that? Super impressed you did ballet and the gym!

    My friend's husband is on prednizone for poison oak...that stuff fixes everything!

    ReplyDelete