Thursday, January 3, 2013

Why this won't become a weight loss blog

Alternate title: My body is trying to kill me

I woke up with a MASSIVE migraine this morning. Seriously, body? Isn't it bad enough that other sensitive parts are hurting, now you have add in a headache? It'd been coming on for days, but I was still floored by how awful I felt (almost literally, I had a hard time standing up). My head would have felt better if actually had exploded. Add in lots of nausea and you get the idea. Justin kindly gave me some migraine medication before swiftly escaping for work, probably because he really didn't want to clean up the mess if the nausea corporealized. Of course this was the day I was determined to get back to the gym. After the drugs kicked in and Liam waking up necessitated me getting out of bed, I dragged myself into clothes and headed to the gym. Because my body isn't the boss of me, damn it. I survived the gym and then spent the rest of the day lounging in bed and watching Dirk Gently episodes. Because British tv rules. I also undid all the good of going to the gym in two mini Snickers bars. Crap.

So I was tempted to do the whole weight tracking stuff on this blog, but then I realized that 1) no one cares (seriously, even I don't care about the numbers) and 2) I hate weight loss blogs. Mostly because they're all the same. But I did find a couple blogs that I enjoy. The first is Can You Stay For Dinner? This is more of a food blog than a weight loss one, but she has chronicled about losing 135 (!) lbs. The difference is that she started this blog after she'd lose the weight. But her recipes are realistic and look really yummy. The second blog is called Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit. This is the most irreverent weight loss blog that I've read. He's blogged everyday for 3 1/2 years. There is hardly anything on this blog to motivate you to lose weight, but there are plenty of song parodies, conversations with Snape, and helpful healthy tips, such as:

• Turn a regular desk into a treadmill by flipping it upside-down, then figuring out some way to make a tread go round-and-round. 
• Switch to low-fat, organic, whole wheat cigarettes. 
• Can’t afford a fancy heart-rate monitor? You can make your own with a digital watch and a wire connected directly to your heart. 
• Don’t go to the grocery store when you’re hungry or have a lot of money. 
• You can make your diet more low-fat by eating less fat, dumbass.

 
• Enjoy the benefits of probiotic drinks, or, at the very least, don't drink a bunch of anti-biotic drinks.

 
• Can't sleep? Try a warm cup of Ambien tea right before bed.

 
• Some folks actually have trouble gaining weight; to those people I offer this simple-to-follow advice: why not try shutting the hell up, please?

Definitely worth a look since this blog isn't going to become a weight loss blog anytime soon.

Today I:

Went to the gym
Nothing else. Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. Boo for migraines. I can't believe you actually went to the gym with one - I tend to check myself out for the entire time I have one until it is gone. Maybe you and I can start a weight gain blog instead, that sounds tastier anyway... imagine phrases like "celebrate the Mayans with a pack of Oreos"... mmmm... oreos... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, you can't say "went to the gym" and then "nothing else." Going to the gym in and of itself covers a whole days worth of activities!

    ReplyDelete