Monday, April 22, 2013

Botanic Garden and Holland Village and the Night Safari

The next day we went to the Botanic Garden. The Botanic Garden is HUGE. You could easily spend the entire day there if you can stand the heat. We walked over to the Healing Garden to find it closed (argh!) so we walked over to the hawker stalls for breakfast.


Entrance to the Botanic Garden


The lake





I don't know what this flower is, but I wish it grew in Seattle


This pond was an experiment in self sustaining ecology.



Breakfast: Egg and onion roti prata


Banana and honey roti


I ordered a strawberry roti prata, which turned out to be a roti prata with strawberry syrup, to my amusement.





Looking down into Palm Valley



Birds of Paradise

After breakfasting on rotis (which are some of my favourite food and I tried to eat my weight in them before I left), we walked over to the Orchid Garden. The Gardens are free, but the Orchid Garden has a $5 fee, which is totally worth it. Here are the million pictures that I took:



When I think of orchids, this the one I think of. I don't know what type it is, but it grows everywhere in Singapore.


















The entrance to the VIP garden. These are the orchids that are special hybrids and named for visiting dignitaries. There's one named for Margaret Thatcher and another for Laura Bush. 


Across from the pavilion












Can you spot it?


Risa and I named him Billy Idol because of the dark marks around his eyes and the tuft on top of his head.






Giraffe statues














Inside one of the mist houses where they keep some of the younger orchids until they're strong enough to be planted.



Inside the cool house, where it was 70 degrees. It was really hot outside for 70 degrees felt like a refrigerator.


The unfortunately named Golden Shower Arches.

After the Botanic Gardens, we got back onto the MRT and went to Holland Village. Holland Village is where my mom used to do most of our shopping and is much cheaper than Orchard Road. We also grabbed some yummy smoothies in the basement of the MRT. Risa had mango (I think?) and I had hazelnut.


This store is located where my mom used to hunt antiques. I doubt it's the same store, or it might have changed a lot.


Literally the same store I used to get my school uniforms. They even still have the same sign.


Where I used to buy embroidery floss and ribbon.

We stopped in a Cold Storage again and picked up some more apples and water. Risa found yellow watermelon:


There was a hawker center in the middle of Holland Village. This center turned out to my fav of all the hawker centers we went to. All of the stalls had A grades and more importantly, one of the stalls had chicken curry:


This is my favourite Singapore dish. It looks kind of gross, but it's pure bliss, I promise.


Risa got sushi.


I don't know what bird this is, but they're everywhere.

We went back to the hotel and cooled off a little bit. We then caught a cab and headed up to the Night Safari at the zoo. The zoo in Singapore is pretty awesome, but the Night Safari is a different experience.  You ride a tram around in a circle where you can see some of the larger animals, many of which don't have a fence. Sometimes they'll just walk across the road in front of the tram. Afterwards, there's some walking trails to see the smaller animals. I didn't get any pictures because my camera doesn't take good photos in low light. We sat on the tram in front a group of schoolgirls that oooooh-ed and awwwww-ed at all of the animals. It was slightly annoying, but still pretty funny. When we walked around, Risa fell in love with the slow loris, the tarsier that kept stealing its food back from ants that were carting off with it, and the sugar gliders. There were also some fruit bats that flew really close to us (we even saw one turn itself over in the tree and pee) and some otters that yelled pitifully at spectators. Totally awesome and was nice to have an activity when it wasn't super hot.


I ordered congee, a rice porridge, for dinner. It was super filling and I only ate half of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment