Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Seattle to Incheon, Incheon to Danang

My flight to Vietnam wasn't extremely eventful. I got to the airport without any issues, checked my bags without any problems, and then waited for three hours because in my panic, I'd gotten to the airport extremely early.

The flight wasn't too bad except that it was extremely turbulent, and I got air sick (I get air sick at the drop of a hat) and the annoying guy behind me kept kneading his knees into the back of my seat, somewhere in the vicinity of my kidneys. But I was lucky because the seat next to me was empty, so the guy on the aisle and I got both our arm rests and an extra room to stow our stuff.

On the way to Danang, I chatted with an extremely nice, talkative lady who was on her way home from the US. She also had very pointed elbows that made their way into my ribs when she fell asleep. The only other memorable thing was a little girl that looked nothing like Alana, but had the universal grumpy toddler face that  looked oddly familiar.

There was a period of extreme weirdness when I was in the Incheon airport (which is awesome by the way). It had been 20 years since I'd been in Korea and here I was back again, only for an hour. I wasn't even in Seoul. Not only that, I was surrounded by people that looked like me. They probably had bow-leggedness and the same problems finding glasses that I do. But since I don't speak much Korean and act so American, there wasn't any chance any of them would mistake me for one of them. It was a very weird, isolating experience.

When I landed in Danang, I had no problem with my visa (thank goodness, one of the reasons I was sure to get it before I left even though I probably paid twice as much for it), finally claimed my bags, and nearly collapsed with relief when I made it to Risa and her husband.

I only stayed on night in Danang on this leg, but to see pics of their house, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment