Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lunch, Giant Buddha, and "Dirty chicken"

After a quick stop at the house, Risa and I took a taxi to Mike's work. Mike works with a bunch of 20 somethings from all over the world. There was an Argentinian, couple of Frenchmen/women, and a hilariously unbalanced Englishman.

We went to lunch at a place that they simply referred to the "barbecued pork" place. It used to be a food stall, but had expanded to a sit down place, but not expanded the menu. Barbecued pork was the only thing you could get.



Bitter melon soup, very similar to something I've had in Korea


Barbecued pork, spicy pickled carrots and cabbage, rice and cucumber, and the little triangle thing is a slice of cold pork sausage/pate thingy.

After lunch, we went back to Mike's work. A few months ago, I sent them a bunch of card games, but I was sure to include a game called Three Dragon Ante because they'd never played it before and it's a requirement for geeks. Apparently it was a huge hit with Mike's coworkers to the point that they refuse to play any other game if it's not the "dragon game." I had mostly forgotten the rules, so I spent the game trying to screw everyone else up.

Risa and I took a taxi up to the "giant Buddha" that sits on a hill above Danang. It's 68 meters (nearly 225 ft) tall. It also home to another Buddhist sanctuary, so there were more pavilions and gardens.










I want this in my yard. Seriously.













Danang.


The bay was full of traditional fishing boats


Budai, also known as the laughing Buddha, despite the fact he's a totally different guy.


Risa wasn't sure what this flag was, but she thought it might be the district flag.




For dinner, Mike and Risa took me to a restaurant they called the "dirty chicken" place where we met up with Mike's coworkers again. It was called dirty chicken because the place wasn't exactly a prime example of hygiene and also you were supposed to throw the bones on the floor when you were done.


Cucumbers and salt with lime (really good) and a salad


Chicken!


We got some soft serve ice cream afterwards, which was nice in the heat. It wasn't very sweet because it's Asia.

We walked on the beach afterwards. The beach is beautiful and I could see little crabs scuttling around. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment