Friday we booked to St. Paul's Cathedral in the morning. St. Paul's is impressive. It's a massive work of art in itself, but the crypt was very interesting and Nelson's tomb is the coolest, gaudiest ever. Again, pictures weren't allowed inside and Justin and I both hate heights and I don't like small enclosed spaces, so we skipped the Whispering, Stone, and Golden Galleries.
St. Paul's
The front of it was impressive. Justin and I estimated the doors were probably 30 feet tall.
Justin standing next to the door to give you an idea how tall it is.
Queen Anne statue in the front.
After St. Paul's we ran over to the British Museum and spent the rest of the day there. It AWESOME. We saw all the usual things, the Rosetta stone (which was way bigger than I thought it was), the mummies, the Lewis Chessman, the Greek marbles, Chinese ceramics (which Justin referred to as my shopping list), Assyrian reliefs, and lots and lots of Grecian jars. We even made it to the Korean room, which was sadly lacking. There were some cool celadon pottery, but there were very few old items and the hanok there had been recently built. It was good we went when we did because as we came out a pack of about 40 Koreans came marching in. I heard more Korean spoken in London than I did in LA last year. I nearly twisted my head off when I heard a guy in Portobello Road complaining in Korean that his mom was crazy or driving him crazy, I'm not sure. The only day we didn't run into any other Koreans was when we were in Stratford. Weird.
We also had lunch at the British Museum. I had the worst pho I've ever had in my life (easy on the mint, guys), but the raisin scone was really good if not on the huge size.
The British Museum, which I'm sure would have been more awesome if there can't been construction work in front of it.
After the British Museum, we headed to a restaurant called Belgo's. I had made a reservation before we left Seattle, but I was glad we did because when we got there, the line was almost out the door. It's Belgian food, with a specialty of mussels. The kilo of mussels we each ordered was AWESOME but extremely filling. It was a very nice meal to end our trip with.
Belgo's was in this area of Covent Garden called Seven Dials. It's where 7 streets meet together and there are some really cool original buildings in the area.
St. Martin's Theatre, where the Mousetrap has been running since March 25, 1974.
Seven Dials, there are seven sun dials on the column.
No comments:
Post a Comment