After we got off the plane and FINALLY got into the flat, we headed off to Portobello Road Market. It wasn't much like Bed Knobs and Broomsticks song, but still pretty cool. It was good we went on a Saturday because we went back on Thursday and it was considerably less impressive. I didn't take many pictures because the stall owners don't like it. My sister joked it was because they were afraid the camera would steal their souls. Portobello Road is mostly antiques, but it's obvious that some of the stalls get their inventory from the same supplier because we kept seeing the same stuff over and over. I picked up some pocket watches, a compass, a map of Denmark from 1872, and a beautiful cashmere shawl. There was also an amazingly beautiful filigree silver boat, complete with rigging made out of silver chain. Unfortunately, it was also £180 ($300) so we didn't buy it. I was majorly tempted though.
Dinner was at a restaurant called Makan Cafe. I wanted some roti and I figured the best place other than Singapore and Malaysia might be London. This was one of the places I found online:
Roti, roti, roti. I was in heaven and Justin finally got to eat some real roti and not the crap I make.
There was a men's suit store in Portobello Road that had the walls lined with old fashioned sewing machines. It was awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment