It's said that you're true colours show when you're unconscious. That being said, I conked out really early Monday. Apparently I fell asleep in the MIDDLE of the bed and when Justin tried to get in, I wouldn't move or give him any of the pillows or duvet, and he eventually went to sleep in the other bedroom. I woke up feeling a little bit better. We had a late breakfast (eggs royale again for me, I have GOT to learn how to make hollandaise sauce) and headed off for Buckingham Palace. We managed to score a view from the side front, but right up next to the gate. Tip: It may not start until 11:15, but you definitely want to be there by 10:45 at the latest. It was crowded when we got there, and it was extremely crowded by the end. It also goes until noon, so dress appropriately.
Canada Gate
Victoria Memorial
Horse guard
So, um, weirdly, while we waiting, a taxi just drove up to the door, dropped someone off and left. Security is interesting.
The band was awesome. They started to play some big band jazz at the end while we were waiting for the gates to open.
I was told by the guy next to me that the white and red things in the bear skins denote which guard or regiment the person belongs to. Usually you can see the button grouping on the coats, but since they were wearing their great coats, we couldn't see them.
While the ceremony was going on, a coach bus full of people in morning coats and dresses showed up. Maybe they were off to have lunch with the Queen?
These two just kept pacing back and forth. You can't see it in this shot, but their great coats had beautiful red silk linings.
Someone searches around the guard house for anyone hiding.
Then he relieves the old guard and gives the new guard their orders.
The old guard marches off.
The Queen was home since the royal standard was flying. I tried to get a good shot.
The lion
and the unicorn were fighting for the crown.
After the changing of the guard, we walked over to Westminster Abbey. Pictures aren't allowed inside, so I don't have any. Westminster was probably my favourite place we went.
Crimean War and Indian Mutiny Memorial. St. George is slaying the dragon at the top.
This picture doesn't show how TALL the abbey is.
St. Margaret's church, next door.
Above the entrance.
After the abbey, we walked to Westminster bridge to see Parliament, the eye, and Elizabeth tower.
The tower was renamed the Elizabeth Tower two years ago. Big Ben is the name of the bell that rings on the hour.
Big Ben struck three right as I took this picture. It was cool.
The London Eye in the background with Boudica in the foreground.
Boudica was awesome. Too bad she lost and drank poison.
Parliament
We then got lost, found the tube station, and finally got to Piccadilly Circus. We had a very unsatisfactory lunch at placed called Kahve Dunyasi. The hot chocolate we had was really good, but my sandwich was mostly cream cheese. I did buy some really tasty macarons there. We then went to Hatchards, London's oldest bookshop, founded 1797 where I bought some Church Mice books. We also went to Waterstones on the same street. The Piccadilly store is Europe's largest bookstore. There was a table devoted to P.G. Wodehouse books....sigh. Maybe if I'd had another suitcase.
Called Eros, but was originally supposed to be Anteros, his brother, entitled the Angel of Christian Charity.
Shaftbury Memorial, there was a fence around it.
Hatchards was beautiful. It just kept going up and up, and it was just filled with books.
We walked back the Piccadilly Circus after it got dark so I could get a picture of the giant led sign.
For dinner we had Nando's so I could see what people were talking about. It was really good, but I forgot to get a picture before we ate.
No comments:
Post a Comment