창경궁 (Changgyeonggung) was originally built by King Sejong (see the alphabet guy at Gwanghwamun). It was burned down by the Japanese in 1598 until Admiral Yi managed to repel them (see boat guy at Gwanghwamun). During the Japanese occupation from 1910, it was turned into a zoo and botanical garden.
We left Gwangjang and started walking north. If you leave from the northwest corner and head north eventually you will run into this wall:
Cross the road and keep following it north until you pass this:
Eventually you will get to this:
홍화문 (Honghwamun), National Treasure No. 384
Each of the palaces cost about 3,000 KRW to enter, or you can buy a pass that gets you into four of the palaces (one of them is free) and Jongmyo. It also includes Huwon at Changdeokgung (I kept finding conflicting info on this, it IS included) for 10,000, good for 30 days. Since Changdeokgung is 3,000 KRW and Huwon is 5,000 KRW, if you go to anymore than that, you're saving money.
Guardians sitting on the corner of the gate. The number of guardians varies. The least I ever saw was 3 and the most I think was 9. There are 10 guardians in total, but only an odd number is ever presented at any given time.
Back of Honghwamun
Some info.
옥천교 (Okcheongyo), National Treasure No. 386. Most of the palaces have a bridge that crossed over running water because it was purification for those who entered.
After leaving this area, we headed to an area known as 궐내각사 (Gwolnaegaksa), the area that the held some ministry buildings.
This palace had a relaxed air about it.
This was a bathroom, believe it or not.
Story telling center, didn't appear to be open when we passed by.
There was a pre-school group (not pictured) that was running around this area. A bunch of the little kids kept pointed at Justin and yelling "미국사람!" (American!) Even with as much tourism lately, I guess Justin is still an anomaly.
관천대 (Gwancheondae), Treasure No 851, the site of an astronomy observatory. Korea has oldest surviving observatory in east Asia (likely the first) built by a woman.
문정정 Munjeongjeon, a smaller throne room where the King used to consult with his ministers.
The throne is smaller.
Area between Muljeongjeon and Myeongjeongjeon. I love how the roofs come together in this small area. It felt grand, but weirdly claustrophobic. Changgyeonggung is usual that the two throne rooms face different directions.
명정전 (Myeongjeongjeon), National Treasure No. 226. The main throne hall. The small tablets in the courtyard would denote where you could stand based on your rank. The past in the middle is split into three with the sides being lower than the middle. Only the king could walk down the middle, higher path.
Bigger throne
드므 (Deumeu) I kept seeing these next to the building and wondering if these were planter or held something important, based on the 화 all over the signs. I thought that might meant "hwa" for flower (like in my name. I forgot that "hwa" can also mean fire. These used to be filled with water as all the buildings were made out of wood and they were in constant threat of being burned down.
Incidentally, my Korean name 송화 means "Pine flower" but since each syllable has different meanings, my name could alternately mean "forest fire", "little flower", "angry pine", or "drilling disaster." I think all of these fit me, but my favourite is "drilling disaster."
춘당지 (Chundangji) an artificial pond. This area was build mostly for the queen, but the royal family also used to area to raise silk worms.
This was an medicinal herb garden of wild plants that grow in Korea.
I think this is 관덕정 (Gwandeokjeong).
A small garden next to the greenhouse.
백송 (Baek Song) for my name
매화 (Mae Hwa) for Alana's name
I love this. I would kill it about two seconds though.
This was an impressive monument....that we read the sign and found out this is a 태실 {Taeshil}, where they stored the royal umbilical cords and placenta. This one was for King Seongjong, originally located in Gyeonggi-do but moved here in 1928 by the Japanese for "research." Interesting that the Japanese were doing research on Korean culture as they were so bent on destroying most of it.
앙부일구 (Angbuilgu) a sundial. This is a reproduction. Treasure No. 845
Uh, I can't remember what this is. Sorry. Maybe Justin remembers?
풍기대 (Punggidae), a pedestal with a streamer to indicate speed and direction of the wind. Treasure No. 846
Looking down on the private residences. These building, while still being royal, were much simpler.
Ceiling- The palaces are painted in 5 specific colours: blue (east), white (west), red (south), black (north), and yellow (center). I think the green was for fertility?
These were the chimneys for the 온돌 (Ondol), the heating system for the buildings.
With that, we left Changgyeonggung and headed to Changdeokgung. Changgyeonggung took about 90 minutes to walk around.
No comments:
Post a Comment