We decided since our flight left so early, it was smarter to drop out kids at my brother's the night before so we didn't have to get them up early that morning and so my brother and his wife weren't presented with two grumpy, under-slept kids right off the bat. We came home to an empty house, and I can say, their presence was very much missed. The house felt so empty and sad.
I got about three hours sleep before we left because I never sleep well before trips. We got up at some ungodly hour and drop to long term parking before hopping on a shuttle with three bags, a carry-on, a backpack and a laptop back (yeah, it gets worse too). I was bring some stuff for a friend in Korea, and I also don't pack lightly because I have a tendency to plan for the worst and try to bring the kitchen sink.
At this point I'm going to sound like a snot and mention that we went business class. We come into some extra money early this year, and rather than do something responsible, we decided to use the money to be more comfortable on airplane ride. I get panicky on airplanes and also 3 out of 4 of my previous long haul flights, I had been incredibly uncomfortable due to someone halfway into my seat. The cheapest business class flight from Seattle was Air Canada who flew routed us through Vancouver but flew on the new 787 Dreamliner, something I was curious about. I will also say that Korea seems to be one of the last few places a business class ticket doesn't cost an arm and a leg, just the arm.
After checking the bags, we headed towards the business class lounge which is where we discovered that our tickets on the puddle hop to Vancouver were listed as economy and they couldn't let us in, Seriously, it was an airplane that seated 26, there is nothing but economy. But this turned out to be a huge blessing in disguise because we just headed to the gate and waited, only to be approached by the flight attendant there who informed us our flight had been cancelled (!) Fortunately due to Star Alliance, they just switched us an Alaska Airline flight that actually left earlier than our flight would have. I was worried about our luggage, but the airport worker assured me it would get there. We then boarded the SMALLEST airplane I'd ever been on (about 40 seats). Never been on a turboprop before and I'd really like to avoid it from now on.
We made it to Vancouver and entered the business class lounge there without any troubles. The Maple Leaf lounge is okay. The food wasn't terrific, but there was plenty of it, and it was relatively quiet. We later board the famed Dreamliner and I have to say, it was impressive. Business class is made up of personal pods which lay flat. It was the most comfortable I've ever been on a flight. Due to me taking my Dramamine at the wrong time, I woke up after a few hours and spent the rest of the flight groggy, watching Guardians of the Galaxy (good, but anyone else felt like it was basically Star Wars?), Into the Woods (weird, but it's a weird musical), and the last Hobbit (bad, very bad).
We finally landed in Seoul, along with our luggage (bless you, airline worker).
Justin doesn't care what class we're in, just as long as he can charge his phone
Indulging his crazy wife at this point.


No comments:
Post a Comment