Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I am horrified

The school system in Utah sucks. We all know that. The Utah state legislature just cut 28 million out of the school budget this year. There are more budget cuts planned for next year. The Jordan school district had a 30 million shortfall, even before the legislature planned cutting school spending. This is in a state where the average class size is approaching 40 students. (How's that "trickle-down economics" working out for you, Utah?)

But I'm also horrified at the public system in the US in general too. That's why this blog caught my eye today. She's a teacher that is going to spend 2010 eating school lunches. She chronicles what the children are eating, along with the worst part: pictures. I was seriously nauseated looking at those pictures. My kids aren't in school yet, but I'm really worried about when that day will come. Hopefully we're in an area with better schools, which can sometimes mean mediocre at the best.

1 comment:

  1. This, along with seeing that show the other day where that cute guy goes around and tells people why they are fat -- grosses me out! Sorry, can't remember his name.

    oh, Jaime Oliver!

    Yeah... horrific

    ReplyDelete