Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Side Effects
Difficulty controlling emotion
Difficulty in maintaining train of thought
Weight gain
Facial swelling
Depression, mania, psychosis, or other psychiatric symptoms
Unusual fatigue or weakness
Mental confusion / indecisiveness
Blurred vision
Abdominal pain
Peptic ulcer
Infections
Painful hips or shoulders
Steroid-induced osteoporosis
Stretch marks
Osteonecrosis
Long-term migraines
Insomnia
Severe joint pain
Cataracts or glaucoma
Anxiety
Stomach pain or bloating
Severe swelling
Mouth sores or dry mouth
Nervousness
Acne
Rash
Increased appetite
Hyperactivity
Frequent urination
Diarrhea
Leg pain/cramps
Sensitive teeth
These are all side effects of prednisone. Guess what I got prescribed today. I went to my appointment with the Martha Clay, the RN that I was referred to after being diagnosed with granuloma mastitis. This time I gave myself plenty of time to get down there, arriving 45 minutes before my check in time which was a half hour before my actually appointment. So I bought myself a sub because I hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch, then waited around for a very long time. I got back to the exam room and was asked about my records, which is when I realized I had left them in the my car....which was at home because I had taken Justin's car. ARGH. So she read through the pathology report, felt me up, and then left so I could get dressed. She came back to talk to me about my options. Option 1 was to wait and see if this would go away. Chances were miniscule this was going to happen. More likely, she said was going to happen would be the tissue would start to deteriorate, and I could get fistulas through the skin so the granuloma could drain out in the form of pus (???!!??). This would be painful and icky. Option 2 was to take massive amounts of prednisone, an immunosuppressive steroid that would probably cause the inflammation to go away but had a laundry list of side effects that are very common. Option 3 was to take methotrexate, a drug that is used to treat autoimmune disorders, as well as cancer, multiple sclerosis, and to induce abortions. This would most definitely take care of the granuloma, but she would have to refer me to a rheumatologist to get a prescription and I could have to get regular liver function tests to make sure I wasn't killing my liver.
Since driving to get my blood drawn every day isn't really an option, and I didn't really want to see pus leaking fistulas on my boob, I went with option 2. Which means I get to be on a powerful drug that will make my insomnia worse, my depression and anxiety very apparent, and put stress on my already screwy glucose levels. Woot.
I forgot to mention that somehow I lost the parking time stamp ticket and was frantically ripping my car apart when I was supposed to pay. Fortunately, the very kind parking attendant took me at my word and just charged me for the time I was supposedly parked.
Today I:
Survived downtown to be poked by yet another person who is only interested in me for my body.
Returned books to the library.
Went to Costco to fill a prescription.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Suuuuuuuuuck.
ReplyDeleteMy brother had to be on prednisone for a weird autoimmune disorder he developed in his early 30s. And a coworker/friend had to be on it for a while when her hair fell out from alopecia.
I don't want to just pile on the shit, but from what I've heard it majorly sucks. I can tell you more specifics with the side effects if you'd like, but I think the list pretty much covered it. On the plus side, they both seemed to go back to normal fairly quickly after coming off the drug. And no boob pus. That's good.
I hope it works quickly for you.
Yeah, ditto on what Di said, that totally stinks. Hopefully you won't have to take it for too long - I wonder why they didn't decide to take it out?Total bummer, I would say eat lots of bitter greens, maybe i twill help your liver process things and not be so crazy. Sending love your way! Maybe a trip to a spa for a month would be a good idea :P
ReplyDeleteI hope everything works out fast ad as pain free as possible. I've taken Prednisone before and I just felt like of absent minded, no other symptoms. See there is hope!! I'm so sorry about this whole ordeal. You can do it! I am cheering and praying for you over here.
ReplyDeleteMy comment looks like an absent minded person wrote it. I blame my kids and my phone.
ReplyDelete