Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Homicide, homicide, we may see murder yet

Today I had a doctor's appointment and since Justin is in Utah, I had to take Liam with me. I dragged myself out of bed this morning and got Alana up and noticed that her diaper had leaked. So I had to give her a quick bath and shove her bedding into the washer before the school bus came. And then when I tried to get Liam up, he refused to move, mostly because his bed was warm, but also the curtains make his room much darker now and he's been confused in the morning because the sun used to wake him up. So I rushed two kids into clothes and through breakfast, left Liam sulking on the stairs while I waited for Alana's bus. The bus was, of course, 10 minutes late, which means I threw Liam into the car and sped into the city. Fortunately with Liam in the car meant that I could take the HOV lanes which turn into the express lanes, unfortunately, this means that I was taking a different route to the doctor's than I had gone before. I was following the GPS which lead me through Capital Hill, an area of Seattle I'm not actually sure I've been to before and I was panicked because driving in Seattle always give me panic attacks. Plus there was construction. Of course there was construction because of some weird habit in Washington in which they don't start road work until rain is due to set it. Grrrrr. The best part was when I had to turn right and I stopped for two idiot girls who walked as slowly as possible and the light turned yellow and red in the time it took them to get off the @##$% crosswalk. And then a guy crossing the road the other direction gave me a really dirty look as he walked around my car. Sorry random idiot, next time I'll TOTALLY run over some pedestrians just so you don't have to walk around my not-moving car. I was also a little freaked out because this was the neighbourhood that my cousin's girlfriend had been hit on her bike by a car the previous week.

I got to the doctor's with plenty of time however and they're actually very good about getting me in as soon as possible. The receptionist even sweetly gave Liam some colouring pages and markers. When I tried to wean off the prednisone a couple of weeks ago, the granuloma that was nearly gone grew back almost to the original size and felt like it might be bringing a friend along as I started to have a pain in a new part of my breast. I called the LPN who had me up my dosage to the previous week's for a couple of weeks to see if there was any change. The new pain stopped, but the original granuloma doesn't seem to have shrunk this time around. I actually missed a dose on Saturday morning and by the time the evening had rolled around, I had that new pain again and it took a couple of days for it to go away. The LPN has now doubled my dose, not quite as much as the original dosage, but more than I've been taking for 3 weeks now, and wants me to try that for two weeks. If the granuloma hasn't shrunk by then, she's weaning me off completely and referring me to a rheumatologist where I will be put on the methotraxate. Yay. She did point out that since the granuloma didn't seem to be causing me that much pain, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to live with a lump in my breast (true, I guess) and chances are it would go away eventually. Apparently there's an expert in Scotland who studies granuloma mastitis and his patients don't take anything for it. They just let it burn itself out (usually takes a year) which results in pain, lesions, and the puss draining fistulas that I mentioned before. Umm, pass the prednisone, please.

This evening I was cooking dinner when Liam ran upstairs from the playroom telling me that Alana had hurt herself. Panicked, I ran downstairs to find that Alana was fine, but had been standing on a rubbermaid container on top of a table to try to get something off the shelf. But by running in, I tripped over all the toys they'd been spreading for the past week, stepped on yet more toys and wrenched my back. My kids nearly killed me because they had too many toys. I made Liam help me clean up the toys after Alana went to bed, and despite the fact it took an hour, he actually did a pretty good job. I also sorted out quick a few toys to donate and managed to (gasp) throw some away. The playroom is now spotless and I'm sitting here nursing a back spasm.

Today:

Went to the doctor's
Picked up books for the library
Cleaned up all the leaves from the back and side yard
Cleaned the kitchen (twice!)
Successfully did not commit homicide today

2 comments:

  1. You know I can take your kids when you have an appointment, right? xoxo Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a busy time! Yay for no homicide! Best wishes with the meds, hopefully it will work this time around :)

    ReplyDelete