Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Clothes

Seriously, where do people buy clothes nowadays? I bought some shirts from Express last month because they were on major clearance and only $7 but after I wore one once, I discovered there was a hole in one. Fortunately it's right on the seam and I can fix it easily, but seriously? I realized that with cheap prices, we have to accept mass production and the lack of quality that comes with it, but I really don't like my clothes falling apart after one wear. Also, I feel bad shopping at certain stores where I'm sure that they use sweatshops and poorly regulated production means as a way to make sure that I can buy that shirt at $7. Really, really guilty. I'd like to make my own clothes, but most of the fabric I can buy is come from factories with similar practices, so it's not really like I'm solving the problem. What's a guilty Liberal to do? Anyone have any clothing stores that they love?

5 comments:

  1. Bring an empty suitcase when you come here - everything will be misspelled, but the quality seems ok (unless you buy things from the sidewalk). And at least you are giving money to the shop owners, that helps my conscience :)Otherwise I always shopped at tj max and tried not to think about things much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just try not to think about it too hard because I'm lucky when I find something flattering I can afford, let alone flattering, in my price range, high quality, and not made in sweatshops.

    I did find this list: http://shopfair.blogspot.com/2009/02/50-sweatshop-free-fashion-brands.html, but I don't recognize any of the brands. I've got a friend who's really into fair trade. I'll see if maybe she can dig up a better list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try this one: http://sweatfreeshop.com/category/sweatshop-free-shopping/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you've got me all motivated (and distracted at work)...page 17 on this list actually has brands I recognize like Eddie Bauer and Oshkosh. They can't guarantee that the fabric they are using is fairtrade, but they at least can guarantee the clothes themselves are made by union workers who are being paid well in good conditions: http://www.greenamerica.org/PDF/GuideSweatshops.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this yet, but it's on my list and sounds like it might appeal to you. http://www.overdressedthebook.com

    I'm kind of with Brooke, though I'd like to buy better things, I'm just so happy to find something that fits me and doesn't cost money I don't have that I just try not to think about anything else.

    ReplyDelete