Thursday, May 9, 2013

I'm not alone!

I belong to a facebook group for Korean American Adoptees. I'm not very active, but they've been getting some weird discussion threads going that have made me feel validated:

Lack of arm hair and stubby eyelashes
No birthday/assigned birthdays/having 2 birthday (I'm not the only one!!!!)
Non-necessity of deodorant
Discussing your adoption with your own biological children
Being the only Asian in very white communities
Lack of connecting with other Koreans
Perceptions that all Asians are meek/mild and going to put up with your shit

It's been very therapeutic to know I'm not the only one with these problems.

1 comment:

  1. I can't speak to the rest of it, but I feel like I live in a pretty diverse place (with a huge Asian American population) and I constantly get the perception of Asians as meek/mild thing. It's kind of disheartening that even in a place where there's such a huge and diverse AA population, that stereotype persists.

    ReplyDelete