Saturday, May 4, 2013

Tips for traveling Singapore and a wishlist

Here are some handy, unsolicited tips for travel in Singapore:

Always have cash. This actually goes for most of Asia.

The MRT EZ link card can be bought at passenger services window with cash even when the ticket booth is closed. I didn't know this and so Risa and I bought tickets from the machine for the trip to the hotel.

Walk on the left, damn it!

The secret to staying upright on the MRT when the train starts going is to let your hips move independent of your upper body. Good luck with that.

Even trying to avoid rush hour, the MRT is always going to be crowded for the stops around the downtown core. 2 million people ride the MRT everyday.

Do not lose your immigration ticket like I did because it causes a headache and small panic attack.

I wish I had:

had time to go to the Chomp Chomp, La Pau Sat, and Adam Road hawker center stalls.

gotten laksa.

gotten chili crab. It's pretty expensive and Risa doesn't like seafood.

had time to go to the zoo during the day.

gone to Buggis/Arab quarter

gone to the satay club in Chinatown (which is open at night)

gone to the Jurong Bird Park

had about another week to spend in Singapore. I left my heart there.

Next up, we went back to Vietnam where I shopped until I dropped, saw some awesome mountains, rode through a cloud, joined the world's least threatening motorcycling gang, and learned to love Vietnamese food.

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing about your trip and dreaming of taking one of our own. Thanks for the fun souvineers you got us!

    ReplyDelete