Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Misnomers

I like to name objects. Not like naming the toaster "Poppy" or anything like that, but both our cars have names-Crowley and Lilith, which only makes sense if you read Neil Gaiman or know anything about Hebrew mythology. I also think that houses should have names. I'd like to think that when we buy our first house we'll name it something like "Pemberley" or "Serenewood", but if it's the typical starter house, "the Burrow" might be more appropriate.

There are however several names that make me pause. Like the mountain ridge right above where we live is named Lone Peak. The reason for this is because from the Salt Lake valley, it does look like just one peak, but from this side of the ridge, there are no less than 7 major peaks. There is also a street near the high school that runs through a golf course. It's named Caddie Lane. Near by is another street named Avanyu. Okay...

Any other weird names?

No comments:

Post a Comment