Sunday, September 2, 2012

Saturday is a special day

It's the day that we try not to ram other drivers on the road.

Today I:
Put 2 coats of polyurethane on the table
Went to two grocery stores (?!?), Target, and the Korean store
Took Liam's feather duvet to the laundromat and finished my book. The two are not unrelated. Laundromats are depressing places.

So we're lucky to live in an area that's simultaneously quiet and close to everything. Literally two streets over is a major highway that runs through Seattle and almost half the county north of us. We're also lucky that we live within walking distance of two grocery stores, couple of drug stores, an auto supply store, a DI (seriously, how did me move from Utah and end up across the street from a DI?) and a smattering of restaurants. I rarely driver more than 5 miles from our house. One of the grocery stores has an AWESOME selection of non alcoholic drinks. I can get apple beer, one of the things I was prepared miss from Utah, but turns out you can get it here too, so SUCK IT UTAH. Anyway, they have about a million types root beer, sarsaparilla beer, and birch beer. We're slowly making our way through them.

Mmmmm, contains yucca extractives

More awesome is the plethora of Korean stores around here. My favourite one is this one:


but there is LITERALLY another Korean store across the street. In the same strip mall as Boo Han is a Korean dry cleaner, a Korean optometrist, a Korean book-ish store, a Korean bakery, a Korean pharmacist, a sushi restaurant where the owners speak Korean, a Korean deli, and what I can only assume was a huge mistake on the part of the location scout for Verizon, a Verizon store. Maybe the staff only speaks Korean? Anyway, Boo Han is big. It has a small restaurant inside that you can get a quick lunch, a counter where you can get kim pop (a sort of Korean sushi without the fish), a small produce section, live abalone and flatfish in a tank, and lots and lots of narrow aisles packed with Korea items.

Half of this aisle was soy sauces. The other half was sesame oil.

It's like Costco for Korean pot noodles.

Bet you can't guess what's in this aisle. That's right, noodles!

This was an example of stuff you can buy from the butcher...

As well is this. $3.99/lb of squid is a GOOD DEAL.

Straight ahead is the restaurant (behind the baked goods) and kim pop counter.  Notice the  prominence of Korean vs. English.

Everyone speaks Korean here. I usually mutter stuff to the cashier, hoping they don't notice I'm not really speaking the same language. I'm usually able to say "thank you" and remember the right form for "goodbye", but I have to pick out the rest from cues. Like if the cashier says, "혹시, box를 원하세요?", I obviously can figure out if she's asking if I want a box. Don't ask me why she didn't say box in Korean, that one still is puzzling me. But until I can improve my language skills, I can fill my tummy with kim chi and soba noodles.

3 comments:

  1. So many noodles! Your town sounds really fun ... the perfect blend of being close to urban life but also walkable.

    You are going to post pictures of this table when it's finished, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAH!! Sorry, this is Brooke again. Dave's obviously been using my computer more lately than I'm used to. Speaking of Dave, how was the new Dr. Who? He's watching iTunes for the new episodes so we can partake in our TV-less state. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That store is awesome! I miss Korean foods... and the little English words printed on labels... I really miss diversity too, Vietnamese don't really do much other than traditional Vietnamese foods. I can't find Soba anywhere so far, so sad. Eat some yummy Korean foods for me, when we get back we will have to eat Bulgogi. Yay for pictures!

    ReplyDelete